DISC: Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing
NumFOCUS Diversity Statement
NumFOCUS welcomes and encourages participation in our community by people of all backgrounds and identities. We are committed to promoting and sustaining a culture that values mutual respect, tolerance, and learning, and we work together as a community to help each other live out these values.
DISC Program Mission
NumFOCUS recognizes that the open source data science community is currently highly homogenous. We believe that diverse contributors and community members produce better science and better projects. The DISC Program strives to help create a more diverse community through initiatives and programming devoted to increasing participation by and inclusion of underrepresented people.
For a more detailed explication of NumFOCUS's position on diversity in the community, see the Diversity Appendix.
DISC Committee Members
- Alex Companioni (Data Scientist, iHeartRadio)
- Gina Helfrich (NumFOCUS Communications Director; DISC Program Manager) — DISC Committee Chair
- Julie Hollek (Data Scientist, Twitter; Diversity Committee Chair, SciPy)
- Jennifer Klay (Professor of Physics, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo; NumFOCUS Board of Directors)
- Julia Meinwald (Open Source Coordinator, Two Sigma Investments)
- Erica Moszkowski (Doctoral Student in Business Economics, Harvard Business School)
- Manuel Rivas (Assistant Professor of Biomedical Data Science, Stanford)
- Reshama Shaikh (Data Scientist; Organizer for NYC Women in Machine Learning & Data Science)
- Tobi Bosede (2017)
- Kari Jordan (2017)
DISC Committee Structure
Detailed information about DISC Committee membership (such as term length, responsibilities, and elections) can be found here.
DISC Committee Meeting Minutes
Minutes from DISC Committee meetings can be found here.
Moore Foundation Grant
The Moore Foundation has generously provided a grant to the NumFOCUS DISC Program to fund creation of a shareable kit on best practices in diversity & inclusion for events. The roadmap of the DISC Committee's work towards this deliverable is found here.
We welcome your participation in the Diversity and Inclusion in Scientific Computing forum on Discourse.
NumFOCUS Code of Conduct
We expect all members of the NumFOCUS community to abide by the Code of Conduct.